Monday, March 2, 2009

*Poof* Bye-Bye Winnings

Now, you'll be surprised to hear I still do not have my Bind-it-All. But this blog is not about that at all. I wanted to write about interesting things instead.

Yesterday, 9:30ish, right after we ate . . . actually we were still all at the table, Griffin walked over to me all hunched over, holding his left side, "It hurts, Mommy." He looked awful and he couldn't stand up right. But, he was kind of laughing about it. So, we thought maybe a nice warm bath would help; it didn't. He laid around on the couch for a couple hours playing DS. Then at 12:30 he came hobbling in the office in obvious pain. I was on the phone with my mom and it was apparent whatever the problem was, it was getting much worst. Everyone decided this kid needed to see the doctor. Joe's family as a history of hernia, and Griffin has that one non-functioning kidney. Who knows what could be wrong?

Griff and I headed off to the Beaumont Urgent Care in Lake Orion. The doctor came out to the lobby to see us, but he felt we really needed to go to the hospital. Off we went. Normally I do the runs to the hospital myself, but he was so miserable I just assumed something was really wrong and I had Joe come down too. He was about a 1/2 hour beyond us with Gus and Will.

As soon as we hit the road again Griffin started screaming and crying. I seriously worried I wasn't going to get this kid to the hospital in time; was something going to burst? I looked back at him and he was white as a sheet with a gray tinge and had black circles under his eyes. We arrived and they got us into tirage. He definitely seemed better once he was out of the car and laying in the fetal position. He was constantly repeating, I don't want a shot.

The doctor poked and prodded. Everytime she touched his left lower abdomen he winced. She was concerned there was a hernia, but there was no lump. Weird. But she believed something was definitely wrong. So, bloodwork, and x-rays were scheduled. Meanwhile, he was o.k. as long as he laid still.

When three nurses walked in he flipped out, because he knew a shot was coming. Well, instead of a shot they started a heplock, IV. That went over well. Screaming and kicking, it took three nurses to hold him down to start the thing.

The blood went off, the x-rays were taken. We sat around for a couple hours.

Everything came back great, except for the fact the kid was full of shit. He needed to poop. One enema and he was CURED! I'd feel like an idiot, but he had pooed just before breakfast. Obviously, he'd moved things into a bad position. If I had it all to do again I'd do it the exact same way . . . what if it had been a bowel obstruction?

Meanwhile, Joe and I had won $66.00 at the Chili Cook-off the night before. We handed $50.00 of it to Beaumont for our co-pay. Waaahh!!! I guess I'm happy it didn't come out of our bottom line. Pun intended.


Heather Leigh said... what a day! glad he's ok, though. sorry you had to spend your winnings in such a crappy way. (pun intended)

~Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

Oh my goodness! Glad you figured that one out. So much work for that. (poop) Well, I am sure your glad that's over. I had to laugh when you revealed the problem, but I'm sure you weren't laughing until later. Did you get a receipt from Beaumont so you can make a scrapbooking page about your adventure! :) just kidding.

Tina said...

Thank goodness he's okay... what a scary situation that turned out to be a shity one!! Pun intended! LOL! :)

Lori said...

Glad to hear your son is okay. I would have done the same thing~as I myself have had many of the emergency room visits with my boys that turn out to be nothing. But you never know! And about the money...I always know when I come up with extra dough that something is coming along in the future that will be costly. It never fails. :)