Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy Puking New Year's!!!

There are times not having a photo to back up a blog post is a good thing. This is one of those times.

After having a fun dinner with the Roman's we headed for to the Cates' for a New Year's Eve party. Shelley is such a gracious host. She made a banquet for both the adults and kids. It was quite lovely. She's so gracious she even invited Tucker, our dog. God forbid he would have to spend New Year's Eve alone.

So the evening is progressing nicely. No crying or screaming. Everyone is having a fine time and Tucker wanders over to the corner and pukes. Nice. Thank goodness Darin noticed it and I swiftly remove the offending matter and the party resumed.

Around 11:45, I heard Griffin coughing while playing on the stairs with Max. I must describe the stairs here. They are Dutch stairs, very steep. I'm sitting where I can almost see the entire staircase, but not quite. The adults are all talking and I'm half-mindedly watching the steps. The boys are wrestling around when suddenly Max jumps off Griffin and Griffin falls down the stairs. He only went down 4-5 steps, but it was all head first. I run over and Max says, "Griffin puked." Or something to that effect. Sure enough puke on the stairs. Griff has a bump on his forehead so I usher him into the kitchen to get a better look and tell Joe to get the puke cleaned up . . .I mean I already cleaned up puke once this evening.
In the kitchen we go, where Shelley is pouring champagne. We've got 8 minutes or so before the ball drops. Griffin doesn't look right and I ask him if he's o.k. at which point he hurls all over the kitchen floor. He stops and looks at me, and Shelley says, "Are you o.k." and he starts hurling again. This little routine goes on for at least 2 more sessions. Long enough for Shelley to wondering if she's making him throw up by asking him if he's o.k. Then someone runs in with a bucket and Griffin pukes some more in there. We were awe struck. Personally I didn't know a six-year could hold that much food. Shelley said she was waiting for a foot to pop out. It did seems he was turning himself inside out.

At this point we're moments away from the New Year. Thank goodness, because if this had happened just after the New Year, like at 12:02 am, I would have taken it as a bad omen. We miraculously we were able to hose the kitchen down, get Griff in a change of clothes and hustle upstairs to witness the ball drop and the kids got to bang pots and pans for the upstairs porch.

We come back down and prepare to hear home when Meatball, the Cates' dog, wanders through the living room and pukes. I'm a little worried about that as an omen, but she was able to just urp a bit and then get herself outside to finish the job. She's such a lady.

Happy New Year!!!!

1 comment:

Heather Leigh said...

wow...a memorable NYE indeed!