Monday, July 21, 2008

H-E-Double Hockey Sticks

Why is it when all hell is breakin' loose, the rest of the hell breaks loose at the same time? Holy crap! What a frickin' crazy hour and a half. I had the whole evening planned. Dinner would be completed at 5:30, we'd eat and clean up the kitchen then I'd teach. The house is spotless and it's was going to stay that way, so the night would run smoothly. That's the great laid plans of mice and men. But at 4:30 a truck pulls up in the driveway. It's a guy from Sorenson VRS (Video Relay System/Service). About a week ago I put in a request for a video phone for Griffin, I had completely forgotten. I guess it was approved because here it is.
What does this thing actually do? Well, this is where new technology completely changes a deaf person's life. First off, two deaf or hard of hearing people can video phone each other and have a one-on-one signed conversation directly via the video. Or a hearing person can call a deaf person through the VRS (Video Relay Service) and speak normally and an interpreter will sign to the deaf person and then voice back to the hearing person the deaf person's response.
I really feel sorry for the interpreters that got the few practice calls we did today. Griffin was a little confused and will definitely need practice. Learning to use an interpreter is not automatic. Griffin was so confused when I said it's grandma calling. He looked at the interpreter with an obvious expression of "That's so not my grandma." Many explanations later, I think he understands. Practice will help and I can't wait for him to get to call Lexi, his true love.
Meanwhile, the house got trashed, dinner didn't get done and students arrive any minute.

No comments: