Friday, December 7, 2007

The Chewy


I have a perfection thing with cooking. If I’m going to put in the effort I want the product to be perfect. So, I love Alton Brown on the Food Network. He’s the quirky guy with a flair for the dramatic. He hosts Good Eats and I believe we have the same sense of humor. When the yeast puppets come out, I crack up.

Anyway, Alton gave me the fantastic biscuit recipe and now the AMAZING chocolate chip cookie recipe. He has three separate recipes as follows: The Thin, The Puffy and The Chewy. I’m a chewy cookie kind of chick. These are perfection in my mind. FYI they are also huge. It’s a dinner cookie if ya know what I sayin’.

The Chewy

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 ¼ cups bread flour
1 t kosher salt
1 t baking soda
¼ cup sugar
1 ¼ cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 T milk
1 ½ t vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 ºF.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low hear. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons of milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Chill the dough, then scoop 2 T dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets. 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes, (not really sure why we must look at the cookies at 5 minutes) rotate the baking sheet for even browning (yea, I didn’t rotate a thing). Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments: